Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My first EU trip - the Motherland

Andrew and I just spent the weekend in Mallorca, Spain. It was absolutely AMAZING!! I have never been to Spain and while most know I'm Cuban, they don't know that my mom and her sisters are only fourth generation Cuban - as Marta likes to put it "we hail from Spain!" The Catalan region to be exact and Mallorca is part of that region! And I will just say, my people are awesome!

I wanted to start with this picture because really, it just makes me laugh. Andrew is going to bring this look to the UK and possibly even the US of A so keep your eyes peeled for the up and coming fashion statement. On our trip to the town of Soller, this was the very first person I saw. Sahweeet! 

Andrew really did his homework and got us a fabulous deal at the brand new Hilton Sa Torre near Llucmajor. It just opened this month and I must say is FANTASTIC! The resort is a renovated castle! There is a windmill and chapel on premise. It's kind of off the beaten path so we really felt like we were in our own little world:

There was also two tennis courts and a full size football field (soccer) which Andrew and I thought was an interesting feature. I guess if you have a team that would like to train in an exotic place, definitely look up the Hilton Sa Torre! Also, Mallorca is apparently a big "bicycle tourism" place. There were LOADS of cyclists on every single road we drove on. Absolutely insane, they were, riding two wide on roads that were barely paved and hardly let two cars pass each other going in opposite ways! 

So our first day there we started with a lovely breakfast. This place has THE best breakfasts - tons of fresh fruit, bread, empanadas, serrano ham, cereal and skimmed milk (or Leche Desnatada), made to order omlettes and poached eggs. Since breakfast was included in our rate we ate like fatties! 

After breakfast, we went to explore Palma - the capital. We walked around a bit and I had my new coffee love drink - cafe con leche. Delish! But we didn't explore long because it was GORGEOUS out and I didn't want to waste the sunshine so I made andrew take me back to the pool. This trip I read Sophie Kinsella's "Twenties Girl" and absolutely adored it! She's the author of the Shopaholic series. I know it's fiction, but it inspired me to have a completely different outlook on life! I totally recommend this to anyone looking for a light hearted summer read with a good message and hunky male love interests!! I'm halfway through reading it again! I also bought Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal...or something like that. I am going to read the first Harry Potter in Spanish to help with my new mission to speaka the spanish by the end of summer! It's not going that great so far...

So anyways, we got all dolled up to go out that first night. On the way to the car we stumbled upon a little min-pin/long hair chihuahua mix looking pup. She was so skittish and wouldn't come near us. I finally coaxed her to come close to me and she let me pet her. My heart instantly melted and she looked so skinny and dirty that I made andrew go and get the left over serrano ham we had in our room. I fed her and then andrew said we had to leave as I think he could see me hatching a plan as to how i could get her into our room. I just wanted to give her a bath and feed her some more! I secretly named her Bella and decided that if I saw her when we got back, I was totally going to go through with my plan. We didn't see her the rest of the trip but it eased my conscience thinking she had an owner... instead of harboring a stray, we drove a bit and found this great scenic cliff overlooking the ocean - here are some pics from that exploration:

 Andrew told me to "go sit on the rock over there"
This seems like a car commercial. We were supposed to have a SmartCar - stupid Goldcar...seriously, worst car rental company ever. Trust me.
Turns out that there wasn't a whole lot of dining options in our general vicinity so we went back to the hotel for wine and a FANTASTIC dinner. We ate fantastically the entire time - fresh fish, tons of croquetas, carpaccio, and all kinds of delicious-ness!! Here are some restaurant highlights:

Drinks at Cuba before dinner reservations at Na
Restaurante Na - the view was incredible!
 This is right before Andrew dropped my camera - and broke it. She will never be the same :( 
Simply Fosh
Another memorable trip was to the town of Valldemossa. I made andrew stop there so i could have a breather from all the wind-y roads. I was about to lose it! But it was a super cute town and i got the cutest necklace as a souvenir! It's going to be my thing I wear when I'm ready for a good time!! I was dieing to dance the entire time we were there, but we never did...boo.


The long weekend was lots of sun, food, and wine... so good! The island has windmills everywhere, which was really cool! I guess the region is known for citrus as well because there were orange and lemon trees everywhere!! And my favorite place is the town we saw today: Fornalutx. It was just so quaint and authentic and felt so so Spainish! 

On the way home, I made my first friend! Her name is Jenny and she's from Holland but is an au pair for an English family :) We chatted the whole way! Good things on the horizon... I'm ready for some friends! 


Here was my last bit of mischief :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment