Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

First Try


Now, because I've taken one 3-hour sewing class, I think I'm an expert.

Andrew and I went to Peter Jones this morning so i could get some sewing stuff. I got the patterns and some supplies and then all the fabric choices completely overwhelmed me! It wasn't as stocked as a jo-ann fabrics, but it certainly had a lot of choices! And I didn't know one from the other. Some of them were quite pricey, so with andrew's guidance, I selected one that was Jersey, but on the less expensive end. After having it home, I think it's what a lot of T-shirts are made out of... and not the really nice T's, just average. BUT I wanted to give one of the dress patterns a try!

As you can see, it went ok. I can use my machine (which i LOVE) and spent a lot of the day putting this dress together. It doesn't look like it, but it's actually looking pretty amazing! I did some darts, and the collar area is really detailed, but what you can't see is the one sleeve that I sewed on, I sewed on inside out. Smooth, Steph. AND there may be a piece that I cut out per the pattern that I have not used yet nor do i know where it should go... but overall not bad for my first time!! There was a lot of pressure to make this though. I skyped with my dad earlier and apparently he was quite the protege with the sewing machine back in his high school days :)

Andrew is in DC right now...I'm a little sad without him but i have wine and chocolate to ease my pain. And I've been reading the books that True Blood is based off of - let's just say that the author is no JK Rowling. My mom made crab dip for Andrew, and quite the meal so I'm a little jealous that he's getting the Steph Fam treatment and I'm here fending for myself.

Tomorrow I have a session with a personal trainer (per a promotion at the gym we joined) so that should be nice. And I would really like to bake something. I find my cooking habits have changed completely since I've been here. The availability of certain items makes cooking a very spontaneous procedure!

I continued looking at sewing patterns online today and I must say, maeby is going to be quite angry with me... I ordered dog clothes patterns in my browsing today :) With the rain and wind here, I think dogs should have proper accessories!

Can't wait til May 4th when it's my turn to go back home and visit!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Baby! Love the dress, and I'm very jealous of the crab dip treatment. That stuff rocks! I think I'm going to try to come visit you while you are home. I talked to your Madre and she said there was a weekend when you would be here so maybe I can come then. Or during the week if that's better for you. Let's chat soon. I'll send you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoof! Make me some cool clothes... i'll model them for you haha. Like lissy, i'm trying to fenagle a time when i can come see you while you're back in the states! I'm not sure how it will work out with work/vaca, but it WILL work out, don't you worry. It really sounds like you're coming into your own while you're over there, doing stuff you're going to be great at and having a good time. I'm very jealous. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete