Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Holy Amounts of Crap!

Andrew's parents, Hubert and Dea, came to stay with us for easter. After two days of scrambling we got the place looking presentable. Take a look at what the flat looked like on Thursday when our stuff arrived:


BUT we worked REALLY hard to get it to look like this:






We stayed up late Friday. They didn't get to our house until after 10 PM. The Eurostar goes all over Europe and apparently it's a great mode of transportation. After visiting Celine and fam in Houston the week before, their jet lag left them wide awake this late.

While waiting for their arrival, I used the opportunity to hook Andrew on True Blood... so far, my plan is working EXCELLENTLY! He keeps suggesting we watch more :) But because of all the True Blood last night, I woke up at 9:30 when I was supposed to be at my "Learn your sewing machine" class at 10 AM. I called the lady teaching the class and luckily she had been trying to get a hold of me to cancel for this weekend because she's sick. Hopefully I will get to make that up this Friday!

I woke to Andrew and his dad gardening. Our garden is right off of our guest room/office and Dea put them to work! After and hour of weeding and cutting back (I am far from having a green thumb) it looks like an entirely different space! They uncovered rosemary and thyme plants, a rose bush, and some other lovely little things! I feel like poor Hubert will not want to come back if we keep putting him to work! They filled 8 large trash bags! After, we had a lovely European breakfast - a loaf of crusty bread, 3 different cheeses, jams, yogurt, and some fruit. I stuffed my face as usual - thanks lack of self control!

And then we went off to the famous Portabello market (famous thanks to the movie Notting Hill with Hugh Grant and Julie Roberts). I think famous is an understatement, check it out:



I can't believe how crowded it was! You could barely see anything! We did find a fantastic little bakery to get bread for tomorrow and a little chocolate croissant snack for me....delish! There were so so many vendors! I'd like to go again, but A LOT earlier, and check them out. There was a neat little station where a guy was painting things freehand on old-looking Rugby balls. Very cool!

Andrew and I bought some artwork in the states before we came. We found Etsy and Ebay artists we really liked and purchased their paintings for above the couch and our bedroom. Well, these paintings came on rolled canvas instead of stretched and framed. SO it was Andrew's mission today to find stretcher bars so that we could mount the artwork. We seriously walked for over an hour looking for this place and it was thanks to my keen understanding of the British accent that we found it! And by "it" i mean the most fantastic place on earth! It was in this really artsy area of London near Liverpool station, on the second floor of the HUGE warehouse. It was the largest Art Supply store I've ever been in! I'll definitely be going back.

And then after a trip to Homebase, Tesco, and Westfield...we finally came home for the evening. Dea brought Rotello for dinner. I'm probably spelling that completely wrong but i've never had it before. She made her own large sheet of pasta that she laid flat, put a spinach/ricotta/olive oil mix on and then rolled it up so that when you cut it, it came out in little white and green spirals. She made tomato sauce to go with it and I must say, it was one of the best meals I've ever had. AND the JVMs also brought me this luxiously huge Luxembourg chocolate egg filled with more chocolates - not two chocolates being alike. It was honestly the best thing I've ever put in my mouth... so good!

In a brief recap, all I did today was eat bread, cheese, and chocolate in huge amounts. I can barely move. I may be twice my size by the time my European tour is over!

Tomorrow is Easter and I'm pretty sure the majority of places are closed, so it should be a very relaxing easter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment