Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Vale & Rob's Wedding


Apologies to my blog readers. Normal type looks GIGANTIC on my Mac, but on a regular screen so I always choose "small. Well, small is actually REALLY small now that I see it on a normal scree! I will test a larger going forward.. 

Anyway, Andrew and I are slowly building our friend network in London. Our very first friends were Rob and Valentina compliments of Andrew's boss (and Rob's friend) Ryan. We've stayed close with them since the beginning and back in June, Andrew and I were fortunate enough to be invited to Valentina & Rob's wedding in Pescara, Italy! 

We departed on a Thursday evening compliments of the lovely Ryanair. We actually almost didn't get to depart because Andrew got in a teeny tiny fight with one of the Ryanair check-in ladies...

We've had a problem EVERY TIME we've flown Ryanair, but we foolishly thought we had mastered the system. This is exactly what they want you to think because when we got to the gate, there were 4 different check-in ladies - one making you put your bag into the "your bag must fit here" space (that NO airline ever officially makes you try and do) one lady weighing your bag (because more than 10 kilos and they make you check it - pretty sure my laptop alone is 10 kilos!! lol) and two ladies checking in bags for all the people they are screwing over. 

Andrew gets accosted first and his bag is overweight. If his is overweight, mine DEFINITELY was. What Andrew didn't realise at this point is that the mean scale lady had ripped the boarding pass out of his hand when his bag didn't pass the weight test. So we stand to the side and repack my back to make his lighter and mine heavier since we were going to have to check it anyway. We take the bags off the repacking table and Andrew starts freaking out because he can't find his boarding pass (Ryanair charges you 40+ pounds to re-print these). He goes up to the counter where they check the bags in and sees his pass sitting behind the counter so he grabs it. Scale lady sees this and comes at Andrew like a bulldog, screaming that he should never reach over the counter. They exchanged some words, but long story short we made it to Pescara...barely..


Friday, we spent all day on the beach. It was incredible! What a beautiful city. And then that night, we went to Valentina's parents' house for a dinner celebration for out of town guests. The party was held in their back yard and it had the most beautiful views! 


Valentina's friend made signature cocktails for the evening that consisted of Sangria (yum) and Mango-ritas (even Yummier!!). It was such a beautiful evening and it was nice meeting all her friends that travelled from across the world to be part of their special day. We even met some fun Baltimore-ians, Jen and Trent! 


Then Saturday was wedding day:) We spent the morning on the beach again and then on to the Hotel Castello in Abruzzo for the wedding festivities! 


The ceremony was all in Italian, but Vale being Vale had prepared programs so that we could follow along. 

The reception began with drinks by the pool followed by the most elaborate dinner I have ever had! The best part - the dessert room!! There was table after table of gorgeous desserts - tarts, cakes, the works! We danced away until 2 in the morning :)


Finally, Sunday was another day on the beach with Vale and all her friends. It was such a perfect way to end the weekend (and to take a little nap because we were all exhausted!). 


I would go back to Pescara anytime :)

2 comments:

  1. Anytime you want! Always happy to organise a trip to Pescara. Perhaps a girlie getaway next Summer? I am afraid it will have to be with Ryanair again since it's the only airline company that connects London to Pescara, but otherwise, I'll take care of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    I just found your blog and have been reading it for the last two hours. I am new to London, I moved here four months ago with my husband and after reading your blog I realize you probably went through a similarly tough transition. I haven't been able to find a job, because of that I haven't made any friends, and I am missing home. I looked for a way to email you but couldn't see an email address, hence the comment on your post. I would love to get together for a drink or see if you have any advice for me to make London feel like home. My email is katie.haylon@gmail.com.

    Best,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete