Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Once in a Lifetime for a dorky Harry Potter fan!

July 7th, 2011 - The Greatest Day Ever. This momentous Thursday marks the end of a era, the London premiere of the FINAL Harry Potter movie. And how do I remember this date so vividly you might ask? BECAUSE I WAS THERE! 


My boss scored two tickets to this exclusive premiere. It began in Albannach where funny enough, I have been to before when Steph and Paul were visiting! Only all of the tables had been cleared out and they were serving 3, smoking (literally) Harry Potter themed drinks at the bar. Throughout the restaurant there were waitresses with h'orderves, tables with chocolate fountains, and Halloween decorations everywhere. This actually disappointed me because I didn't think that was very authentic... but it was obvious why this venue was chosen, it was at the bottom of Trafalgar Square - the epicenter of the Harry Potter evening and where the longest red carpet in the history of red carpets began - seriously, look it up!

Once on the red carpet, the first person I see? Emma Watson! She's literally 10 feet away from me. If you are not a celeb on the red carpet, they really do their best to usher you right along. This experience made me realise that for as big a Harry Potter fan as I am, I had no idea what these people's real names were! But I can tell you I saw Ginny Weasley, Tonks, Lupin, Snape, the Minister of Magic, JK Rowling, all within the first 30 feet I walked. I also saw non-HP celebs like Damian Lewis (he's in the TV show Life and Band of Brothers).
 
When you round the corner towards Leicester Square, there were pieces of the set for pictures! And then they had Hedwig and Deatheaters! It was AMAZING! 

You keep walking some more (having tons of fans taking MY picture thinking I'm someone famous) and eventually end up at the Leicester Square Odeon! 

We took our seats, and on the screen they were still broadcasting Trafalgar Square interviews. I almost cried as Emma, Rupert and Dan said their thanks to JK Rowling for everything Harry Potter has brought them and how much they are going to miss this "family." Then the screen went dark and Harry Potter  pt 2 began...in 3D! 


It literally picked up right where the other movie left off so I wished I had re-watched the Part 1 before this screening, but it didn't hinder too much. It was awesome!

I asked one of the girls from Warner Bros if the stars stay and watch these movies. She wasn't sure, but after the movie, when I walked down the stairs to check out the balcony on the theater (because lets be honest, I doubt I'll ever be there for a Premiere again) Ron Weasley and Hagrid were RIGHT there! I had on my "tall" heels, but Ron and I were eye to eye! I have this thing where when I'm really excited, I can't speak...at all. The only thing I was able to get out was "can I get my picture taken with you?" He said yes :) 

I also saw Draco Malfoy leave with Emma Watson (who had changed her dress at this point) from the Balcony. And (Spoiler Alert) I saw all the kids as I was leaving that played Harry & Hermoine's kids at the end of the movie. We were then ushered towards some coaches that took us to the After Party!! 

The venue was INSANE! And there was literally something for everyone - satays station, stews, roasted pig, candy stations, it was incredible! This is where you REALLY saw the celebs! I saw all the same ones as earlier, plus George and Fred Weasley, Neveille, Dean, Bill Weasley - seriously everyone! I actually felt kind of old. They all looked like babies in real life! 

I ended up not staying too late at the after party. I think all the excitement drained me, but it was really a once in a lifetime evening. 

I called all my family members on my taxi ride home to recount my star studded evening as they have teased me for years about my Harry Potter obsession. 

I can't believe it's over. I will always have a special place in my heart for Harry Potter. Now all I have to look forward to is going to Howgwarts in Orlando! Which I totally am pumped about visiting :) 

1 comment:

  1. when are you going to Orlando? Matt and I are thinking of going too! I would have loved to meet Fred and George. They are my favorite characters in the books hehe

    ReplyDelete