Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year! Highlights and Resolutions :)

Wow, I can't believe it's a new year already. 2011. Crazy! And what a year it's been! Here are my top 5 highlights:

5: Moving to London! Besides culture shock, it's been a huge adjustment within myself moving abroad. I have a vulnerability that "inspires" people to take care of me - my parents, my brothers, my husband - but moving here, I've had to stop relying on other people and take charge of things for myself. I'm a lot more independent, I've gone out of my comfort zone to meet people and get involved in things, I'm really proud of myself!  

4: Traveling! Moving to London, the rest of the world is so accessible. Seeing as much as we can is one of the goals while we're here! Since February, I've been to Mallorca & Fuerteventura Spain, France a few times, South Africa, Russia, and the US 5 times! I feel incredibly privileged to have had so many opportunities, especially in one year. Incredible.

3: Surviving my first year of Marriage! I am not going to lie, it was no picnic at times. Moving to a new country, trying to start a life together, not having a support system... it was rough! Fire and ice. But we finally found our groove and I honestly could not be happier with my lovie right now! He's pretty great :)

2: Making New Friends! You can't fully feel at home in a place without friends I've found out. It's hard following my friends back home on facebook and watching their lives, my old life, being lived without me. I know I'm onto a new chapter and I'm loving our adventure, but having friends here definitely sealed the deal for me liking it here. So thank you Bernie & Alison, Vale & Rob, and Johnny & Corinne for being part of what makes London feel like home for us, especially me :) 

1: Keeping old friends! Being abroad has made me appreciate all my family and friends back home so much more. I talk to my mom more now than I did when I lived 1.5 hours away in Baltimore. My aunts message me all the time. Steph keeps me sane. Ashley and Alex keep me laughing. Shana keeps me busy and entertained. I am so thankful that so many people still think about me and keep in touch, especially when keeping in touch isn't a strong quality of mine. You really see who your true friends are. It's nice to know that just because you aren't around, it doesn't mean you are forgotten :)

 Resolutions! I am not one to make concrete resolutions because I usually fail, and fail hard, very quickly. So instead, I'm going to outline some guidelines and goals to work towards for 2011: 

1. Work on my career path. I think I've narrowed down what my passions are, so now I just need to get there and get experience. I'm not too worried. When I put my mind to something I want, I usually get it :) I get quite determined!!

2. Develop a solid hobby. I am a bit of a free spirit and move on to whatever has my attention at that particular moment. Therefore I start MANY projects yet finish few, if any. Perhaps I should narrow it down to 2 or 3 things and just focus on those! Not too sure what those are going to be though... 

3. The return of my natural hair color. You would think having very dark hair would limit your choices for a makeover, however, there are highlights, dyes, glazes, glosses, and much more that you can do to it! Again, I am a free spirit and inspired to "change my look" quite often and then back again. Well, "going back" doesn't really last for me since my hair is so damaged (I think), it doesn't hold color for very long and I end up with reddish tinges and a flat look. I also "shed" more than most domesticated house animals so I am vowing to do my best to NOT touch my hair this year and let my real color grow in. That and I don't want to be bald when I'm 30, which sadly, isn't that far off... 

4. Do some good. I would like to find an organization or group to dedicate a little time to. There are so many worthy causes out there. I used to do it back home, I think it would be another way to meet people and do some good while I'm here!

5. Dominate my MOH Duties. I am going to be Matron of Honor in my Bestie Steph's wedding in August! I have some projects to complete for her prior to that, a bachelorette to plan, and a shower to hopefully at least help plan and attend. I don't want to let her down! Especially since I'm an ocean away... I don't want her to feel like she chose poorly! 

Well, these probably aren't the best resolutions, but I think it's a good start for me...I have a really hard time committing to things long term like this!!

Happy New Year everyone. May it be filled with love, happiness, and success :) And remember what our good friend Ghandi says, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps because I am quite emotional today but your post touched me. I feel pretty much the same way! I miss my Country and my family and friends but I am proud of myself for what I have achieved so far and am grateful for the amazing people I have met in London who play the role of my family here. Hope to see you soon and Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of how far you have come since moving to London! It seems that you settled in very nicely and am excited for you guys to enjoy the rest of your stay.
    Sending a little care package from TX with a couple of goodies and a b-day card for my bro. Should be mailing it on Monday. Miss you guys!!! Xoxox

    ReplyDelete