Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Celebratory Drinks :)

Celebratory drinks were in order last night so Valentina, Natalie and I went out to the cutest little pub called Bourne & Hollingsworth.  Natalie and I both just landed new jobs so Vale suggested this really cute little place near the Tottenham Court Road tube station. It is a basement pub that feels like someone's living room with a fire place and comfy seats, and their signature cocktails come in tea cups with little star-shaped cucumber sandwiches! They have other regular cocktails and beers, but I was starving and wanted the little cucumber sandwich so I thought I'd try something in a tea cup. 

I am not a hard liquor fan, but I do OK with a little gin so I ordered the Gardiner's tea Break (I believe that's what it's called) that was chilled gin, cucumber, green tea syrup and mint. Holy cow was that FABULOUS! Thank goodness it was a really tiny drink because I was a bit tipsy after the first one! It was just so different and refreshing. We met up around 6 pm (which is a bit early by London standards) on a Tuesday night and it's a good thing we did because the place filled up REALLY fast! I have really come to count on Vale as a good friend and I'm excited to be seeing more of Natalie. I find it really fun to hang around with other cool, married girls (well, Vale is getting married in June)! 

So about this new job I landed... I have done a complete 360 compared to the way that things have been headed for me, and applied to a posting on a job board last Tuesday. I was called on Wednesday to say that my CV had been shortlisted and was I available for an interview that evening! I prepared diligently for this phone conversation, but not even 30 seconds after the call began, it had to be rescheduled due to technical difficulties. So Thursday morning, I had my phone interview which went pretty well since I was invited in at 4:30 that same night for a face-to-face chat and then out to drinks to meet some of the team. Perhaps it's a British thing because Natalie said she was evaluated on a similar component, but I was invited out for drinks with the team because it was really important that I was a good fit with the team and got on well with everyone. I'm pretty sure I didn't get home until 9 pm that evening. Then Friday morning, around 10:30, I was called and told I had the job! What is this job you might ask? Well, I am the new personal assistant to the Director of Business Intelligence at Sony Playstation :) How cool is that?! 

The official email came on Saturday, and I won't lie, I was really sweating about getting it since I had expected in Friday afternoon! But it finally came and now I start on Monday the 24th! I'm SOOOO pumped! The office is in a fabulous part in London (near all the good shopping which will be very dangerous) and the culture is amazing and I just can't wait! I think it will really put a damper on all the amazing trips that I have been going on, but it's an opportunity that I really can't pass up. Yay for me!! 

Now the only thing I have to figure out is, what I should wear on my first day!!!

1 comment: