Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

New experiences #1

I had two new experiences today:

1. Taking the tube by myself ever,
2. eating Indian food

I was really proud of myself for taking the tube all alone!! It made me realize just how little I actually pay attention when I do things with Andrew, I totally just follow blindly. I was the dope standing in front of the tube map for a good five minutes making sure I knew which way i should take the train. London also has quite the underground labyrinth connecting several tube stations. I found my way just fine, although, it's really hard getting used to doing everything being backwards - everything Americans do on the right, they do on the left including: driving, walking, and escalator-ing. Feels REALLY awkward.

The Light of India. After a long day at work for Andrew, we wanted to find a light, inexpensive dinner near the hotel. It's FREEZING here, especially when the wind blows, so we ended up at this little Indian place on Gloucester Road. I had never had Indian food before, but as I have been feeling rather adventurous I thought, "Bring it on!" We started with a yummy pureed lentil soup with lemon. It was spicy and the lemon gave it tang - I loved it!! for my main course, I ordered Chicken Dhansak. Fantastic!! Pureed lentils again, but a completely different flavor and there was some SERIOUS heat in the after taste. Again, i LOVED it! The best part of the dining experience was the little old Indian man that served us. In true Steph style, I made a gigantic mess during dinner on his table cloth so when he cleared the plates he pointed at my mess and gave me a stern look. I told him that I got REALLY excited about the food and he laughed and ended up bringing me chocolates for the rest of the meal and told me not to tell Andrew. We're bffs :)

We also found out that the air shipment with our stuff is now only coming in this afternoon and there is little chance it will clear customs by this weekend. Looks like we'll be staying at the hotel through Monday...boo! Our flat is so cute, I can't wait to actually live in it!

2 comments:

  1. First!

    Good ish stoof, keep em coming. You'll have the tube figured out in notime i'm sure, you're good at that stuff (As you know, i'm spacially/directionally/mentally challenged). Don't let andrew work too hard, thats not how it works over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job taking the tube by yourself!! I know it can be quite an adventure! I am usually paranoid about getting on the wrong train (in spite of checking all the signs and maps a thousand times). I usually feel relieved when I see the stations go by in the right order. :) Hope your furniture and stuff gets there soon, so you can set up the apt. Can't wait to see pictures when you are all settled in! XOXO

    ReplyDelete