Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

More hiccups

Nothing with this move has gone smoothly!! We are finally in our flat. We have a couch, a coffee table, a rug, a TV, a bed, a futon, and that's about it. We've been in since Tuesday and the TV/Internet service provider was going to connect us to all the good stuff this morning BUT (long story short) they canceled our appointment for today because they decided that we never moved in. They never called, nothing. SOO the next available appointment is April 6th. I am currently on Spring break but come Monday, I need internet!! I found a bootleg wifi connection that you can pay by the week but it keeps kicking me off... so frustrating!! I have already started researching new internet/TV suppliers because I think this is all just ridiculous!!

I spent 2 days applying for jobs so far, not too many, just putting some feelers out there and seeing what I get back. I was supposed to have my first interview yesterday, but whe
n I got out at the Kings Cross St Pancras station, I walked 15 minutes in the WRONG direction. By the time I figured out where I was and got back to where I started, I was going on 10 minutes late for the interview and didn't have the nerve to show my face! Without a mobile I couldn't call either! So I hauled tail to the Starbucks by the house and wrote the most sincere apology I could and gave her my comments on what I was asked to think about for the interview. She was super nice and let me come in today to interview.

The company is a Video production company comprised of Thembisa (from South Africa) and 3 guys all cramped into a tiny little room. They started the company last year and have 3 months to get themselves together or they will have to cease their operations. I think the interview went really well, she said she'd interviewed quite a few candidates so I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it'd be a neat o
pportunity to get some one-on-one attention to learn some cool stuff. They produce music videos, corporate videos, commercials, 3D animations...stuff like that. She said their financial stress is due to their lack of marketing efforts. They want an intern to monitor their social media stuff (facebook, blog, twitter) and for research. Eventually, the intern would help re-do the website.

An interesting marker on my way to the interview:



There are so so so many opportunities in London. Tons become available each day. I think I'm going to lay off the applying though until I have a mobile so I actually have a contact number!! With no phone, tv, and internet I seriously feel like I'm missing part of my soul or something. I haven't been THIS cut off from the world since the 7th grade...

After the interview, I explored the area a bit and found the cutest bookstore where EVERY book was only 2 quid! I bought 3 books :) Wuthering Heights (Bella is obsessed with it in Twilight lol), a book by Freud (bringing me back to my psych days!), and another adult read having to do with Statistics. After reading the City of Bones, I decided that maybe I should really start branching into age appropriate literature...

Since I've been home from the interview, I've eaten a package of cured beef and have a tub of hummus...or hommous as the Brits call it. I love London supermarkets. They have the craziest stuff!
_________________________________________________________________________

Last night I met Andrew at work and we went out for St. Patty's day! I made lots of new friends! This one girl Jo and I were hugging an hour in. Justin Magno is in town! We hung out with us too. We met up with Bernie, who has also just recently relocated to the UK, and had ourselves a lovely night. FYI Canadians LOVE themselves some St Patty's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment