Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Je t'aime, Paris

Je t'aime Paris... it's such a gorgeous city. For our first weekend in March we woke up at 4 AM to hop on the 6 AM eurostar and then it was onward to the city of love, Paris. We met up with the JVMs at L'Regent and then off to loving the city! 

First stop, Paul's. Obviously. Paul's in Paris has a full service restaurant side (haven't found one like that in London yet) so I had a divine chocolate croissant and latte while Andrew ordered the ham and cheese omelet. The concept of skim milk is completely lost on the French, and so I was indulgent with my semi-skimmed coffees throughout the weekend. After seeing Andrew's omelet, I made a mental note to never make that mistake again - always order the omelet.
Hubert travels to Paris quite often and was able to walk us through the neighborhoods and it was my first time experiencing what Paris would actually be like if you were to call it home. I have a whole new appreciation for this glamorous yet charming city. 

So after wandering in and out of art galleries and along the Seine, we spent the rest of the time sampling French cuisine. Stuffing my face was more like it, but since we went to really nice restaurants, I tried to control myself as best I could. Between the butter and cream sauces and cheese and mousses and everything else that was yummy and great I really don't know how these people are skinny. 

Dea and Hubert introduced me to the Tiffany's of chocolate, Patrick Roger. If you can get over the gigantic, intricate sculptures with chocolate dustings to look like rust and texture you are left with rows and rows of the most decadent chocolates you have ever seen. Being overwhelmed, I settled on the chocolate ganaches which are honestly the best chocolate delights I have ever put in my mouth. 
My favorite restaurant was our destination for lunch on Sunday. I think Joel Robuchon's L'Atelier is my new favorite restaurant (sorry Charleston!)after that meal. 

There were only maybe 40 seats in the restaurant, all situated around a bar surrounding the kitchen. We watched the most intimate inner-workings of this fantastic place as they created their masterpieces. The red and black interior was accented by some of the most beautiful vegetables I have ever seen - Pepper slices floating in water, cucumber and carrot waterfalls, and garlic dangles. It was all completely memorizing. 

We had asked to be seated on the corner of the bar so that it would be easier for our party of 4 to talk to one another. We were denied the seats due to a VIP coming in. I wasn't paying attention, but then I realized I could understand what the people at the end of the bar were saying. I was already excited to hear English being spoken but then it was an American accent (which made me EXTRA excited) and that American accent belonged to Nicole Richie!! I could barely contain myself. Ever since she transitioned from the Simple Life side-kick moron to Paris Hilton into mama fashionista big shot designer, I secretly love her! She was so tiny and cute!! Between trying to stalk her and watching the kitchen, I was the worst company ever. 

And then the food came. My first dish was scallops on this macaroni raft with paper thin truffles. Gorgeous. Hubert got softshell crabs that were sensational, and I don't even remember what Andrew and Dea got because I was too busy savoring every single slow chew of flavor that I was taking in. 

After recovering from that first plate, I got langostine ravioli. While not as mind-blowing as the scallops, it was still equally stunning in flavor. I finished my meal off with a lemon souffle (when in Rome right?) with Grapefruit sorbet. Fabulous.
I let Andrew talk me out of saying anything to Nicole Richie, because he told me that was tacky, but I asked him to try and sneak a picture of her on the way out since I was creepy and staring at her the whole meal, there was no way I could do it. He chickened out with the picture, and I watched as Nicole Richie leaned over and whisper something to her friend as he passed on our way out and they both turned to look at him as he put on his coat. That's right ladies, he's pretty :) And he's mine! 


(The last picture was my attempt to snap a picture of Nicole at the end of the bar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment