Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

I heart Luxembourg

Last weekend, Andrew and I went to visit Andrew's family in Luxembourg! It was my first time going to this tiny country so I was super excited :) 

Even though I had just started working, I was able to get Friday off to make the trek because even though we had an evening flight, we had to get to Gatwick airport. There is a lovely, hour long, direct flight to Luxembourg from Gatwick (which, side note, will be moving to Heathrow as of April so yay to that!). 

The most economical way we've found to get to Gatwick has been taking the EasyBus that stops a mere 10 minute walk away from our flat at the Ibis hotel in Fulham. Andrew was a bit annoyed with me, because I only left a 15 minute window for us to make it there...oops! I had received my gel nail color kit earlier in the day and decided to try it out an hour and a half before we had to head out. Apparently, when it's your first try, this isn't enough time. I ended up stressing Andrew out and all my nails peeled off immediately afterwords because I didn't have them under the lamp for long enough! 

Anyway, we made the EasyBus and got to Gatwick with plenty of time to spare. After about 5 minutes on the bus, and sitting in the front seat, I got blindingly carsick for the entire hour drive. So I found these sweet travel bands at the airport that were supposed to help with motion sickness by pushing pressure points in your wrists. I didn't want to take any chances with the flight after the bus experience. Because I have the wrists of a 10 year old, I had to purchase the child-sized bands that were a lovely neon yellow and orange - broadcasting my weakness to anyone within a 50 yard site line...


Thanks to all our travels last year, we made Silver status with BA. With this, we get upgraded on flights that aren't full as well as access to the airport lounges! So we found the BA lounge and helped ourselves to a plethora of food and wine and treats. We are newbies, so I always eat quite a bit (something about free food just tastes better) and take a few bits of fruit for the ride. It also keeps me from buying random things in the airport shops which is another favorite pastime of mine. 

We made it to Luxembourg in time for dinner at a local favorite of the JVM fam. Hubert and Dea, and Jill and Steve were there to share it with us. I tried Jill's traditional Luxembourg ham and peas and ordered seabass for myself. Since this was considered a vacation, I finished with a giant ice cream sundae complete with whipped cream. It even came in an old school glass like at the diners back home. It was super duper yummy :) 
 
Then Saturday we went and explored the city of Luxembourg. I had no idea how beautiful it was! There were all kinds of hills and valleys and a river and it was sunny. It couldn't have been a better day! We ate soup and shopped and saw Jill and Steve's new house they are renovating. It was so unique with a three level back yard and wine cellar. I can't wait to see what it will look like when they are finished! 

That night Dea made a fabulous dinner with chicken and mushrooms and cream sauce in flaky bread bowls. Hubert always spoils me with chocolate croissants and yummy things in general so dinner was finished with this chocolatey mousse cake :) Delish!! 

Sunday we went for a lovely walk in the neighborhood and made more yummy food. Hubert took us to the Battle of the Bulge memorial cemetery. It was very surreal and visually stunning. And then before we knew it, the weekend was over! So back to reality...

PS I find that when I start posts, walk away, then try to finish, the content really suffers. Sorry Luxembourg... I don't feel like I did you justice in this one! Guess that means I need to go back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment