Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Feeling at home in London :)

And it's about time! I don't know what happened, but ever since the St. Petersburg trip and then coming home to Andrew being at Cambridge for a week and really missing him, I've just had a whole new perspective about being here! It just really is starting to feel like home! I just have this completely new bright and shiny attitude about life in general and no real event that brought about the change of heart.

It's no secret that I had been struggling with adjusting to London living. I've missed my family and friends back home so so much. I've been doing my best to put a positive spin on everything, but it's been really really hard getting settled. Recently though, I've been really busy and having more consistent friendships is really contributing to me feeling good here. While Andrew was at Cambridge to be inducted and kick off his new program, I saw all the people I know in London in a 4 day period! I had dinner and drinks with Alison Samedi on Thursday, Girls' night with Corinne and Elle on Saturday and then brunch with Vale and Rob on Sunday! 
 
Alison and I went to this cute little dim sum restaurant in the Victoria station area. I had never had dim sum nor knew what it was really so we ordered a bunch to share! They come in these cute little bamboo boxes and are pretty much dumplings I guess. They were really delicious! But the best part of the culinary experience was eating these giant fruit pastries at the Patisserie next door! 

Then Saturday, Corinne, Elle and I went out drinking and dancing in Fulham and Earls Court for my very first real girls' night out since I've been in London. It was SO much fun. We went to the Elk bar in Fulham where I had been before on my birthday and then to Miss Q's right by my flat. We danced and sang and had such a fabulous time all night long! I haven't been that sweaty and disgusting from dancing my heart out in a really long time :) 

Andrew got back on Saturday late afternoon and I have never seen him so drained both mentally and physically. He had a terribly packed schedule from basically 8 to 8 every single day he was there! I hope that he can keep up the morale and enthusiasm from that week, he definitely has his work cut out for him! That Sunday after he got back we went to a delish little organic cafe for brunch with Vale and Rob. We hadn't seen them in awhile and it was the perfect afternoon complete with my first sample sale! Vale is a fashionista and really intuned to designers and what's hot and instyle. The sample sale was for Orla Kiely, and there were REALLY cute things! I didn't end up finding anything, this time, but Vale did. And it was so funny, because we were hanging out with them on Sunday talking about the differences between being married and not and then I get an email the following Wednesday that Rob proposed!! She and I are going out for a drink tonight to celebrate. They are the sweetest couple ever :) 

Finally, my friend Suzie from High School and her boyfriend and friend Forrest came to London for a visit! They were staying close to my flat and invited me out with them. Poor things, I walked them all over the place from Hyde Park to Buckingham Palace to Westminster and finally, onto the London Eye! It was such a fun blast from the past, I really enjoyed myself and showing off MY new city. 

I am a really lucky girl to have so many wonderful people in my life and to have such great experiences. One of my favorite quotes is "I find that if you love life, love will love you back" and that's the attitude I'm really trying to embrace :)

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear! London will never be like home but it's a pretty cool place to be! I am sure the more you'll discover what the city can offer the more you'll fall in love with it! And I am here to help! See you in a couple of hours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing us around!!! We had so much fun with you!!! Glad you are starting to finally feel at home :-)

    P.S.... that shirt does nothing for me! I totally look pregnant! lol

    ReplyDelete