Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Food Focused Weekend of Wonderfulness :)

This past week has been incredibly low key. No school, no work, no move from the couch! I love having Maebs here with me. She's already picked her "spots" and fallen back into her old habits - burrowing under the covers, needing to be in someone's lap at all times/in the middle of everything, and being obsessed with the tennis ball :)


Friday Andrew and I decided to explore a new neighborhood - Notting Hill!! We'd been to Portabello Road with Andrew's parents awhile back, but it was nice to see it when it wasn't jam-packed with tourists!! I have been craving good Mexican food since we got to London but Friday we found it!


The place was called Taqueria. It was like a little Mexican Diner where Mexican meet tapas! It was glorious. We ordered plantains (tasted just like how my mom makes them!), refried beans (which were black beans with crumbled cheese!), and then I got tacos Tinga which was shredded chicken in this spicy salsa with avocado. It was served in three mini corn tortillas, I've never seen them so small! Andrew also ordered a chicken taco dish that was delish, but the BEST thing we got was a chicken tostada - fried corn tortilla with some of the best guac I've ever had, lettuce, cheese salsa and chicken. Amazing! I'd go back just for that. And for the pork and pineapple version of what I ordered that I saw the guy at the table next to us get as we were leaving. Looked incredible. I was all for going again Saturday or Sunday, but I forget that not everyone likes to eat the same thing over and over again... consecutively. Seriously, I can't stop thinking about it today and how I could re-create it myself... 


Saturday was a gorgeous day. I love my hubby for many reasons, but mostly because he blindly enables me. I got it in my head that Saturday I wanted crepes for breakfast and all Andrew said was "sure!" So we made yummy crepes with egg whites, low fat cheddar, and Spinach. The final touch - Frank's wing sauce. It was glorious! In my Nando's sauce craze, I forgot my ultimate love of buffalo! And crepes are surprisingly easy to make!

Andrew got us some lounge chairs, which are extremely hard to find - I'm assuming due to the lack of sun in the UK. So we packed up some books, towels and the chairs and spent some time in the sun in the garden. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but there are two sides to the garden - kid side and adult side. We set up shop on the adult side and unfortunately could not be in the sun AND avoid the couple basically having sex through their clothes on a blanket in the middle of the grass or the group of fat old guys with no shirts. We sacrificed our eyes and the mental images that are now burned into our minds forever for direct sunlight. I've never seen the park so packed!!


The weather looked a little iffy so we took a break and took care of some stuff in the house, then got some cheese and wine and grapes and went back out for pre-dinner drinks and apps!! As I decided USA favorites was my food theme for the weekend, I made BBQ pulled pork for dinner with pineapple and blue cheese. It was glorious!! A mango avocado onion and pepper salsa rounded out the meal. Andrew peer pressured me into partaking in some Champagne with him, so it was definitely an early night for me!!  It was such a lovely day :) 


Sunday was uneventful, BUT we did make yummy Thai for dinner. I had a bit of a down day... I did start making a website for my graphic design portfolio. I also signed up for a 7 hour jewelry making class on Friday as well. It's nice having things to look forward to!! 


Tonight is BBQ Burgers and salad... Maybe I should add cooking classes to my "Things to Do" list :)

No comments:

Post a Comment