Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Follow the American Flag

Andrew and I arrived in Cape Town today. I think I slept MAYBE 2 hours of the 11 hour flight. I just couldn't do it! So I was exhausted and grumpy upon arrival BUT thought it would be best to get out and about for as long as possible and sleep later. 


We're staying in the Townhouse Hotel which is literally a block from the Fan Fest area for the World Cup, Cape town. I could kick myself, I brought a USB/Camera cord to upload pics as we go, and of course, it does NOT fit my camera!! I have pics from our walk down to the harbour/Wharf area and from lunch and the sights down near where the Stadium is... it is so unique here!! So I will blog as I go, but check Facebook once we're back to see all the images!! 

I didn't know what to think at first. The airport has clearly been recently redone. I feel the the horribly uneven distribution of wealth is easy to see. Our taxi driver from the airport to the hotel (20 minute drive) was adorable and super knowledgeable about his city's history. About 5 minutes in, we passed several square miles of straight slums - I'm talking slum dog millionaire type slums where it looks like a freight shipping container with a questionable roof laid on top and these "homes" and right on top of each other for miles and miles  - and the good humoured, great personalitied- taxi driver tells us that's where his home is for him and his family. He has the most wonderful disposition, I seriously can't stop thinking about him and what his life must be like... It seriously took everything I had not to cry. I made sure Andrew tipped him generously before we said goodbye... it's a shocking reality to see first hand.


But down by the Wharf was gorgeous and touristy. We had a lovely lunch at a bistro. Apparently one of the industries of South Africa is farming Ostrich, so i had a yummy steak for lunch. We made our way back towards the hotel and checked out the fan zone before making plans for the USA vs. Algeria game at 4 pm. Silly me only thought about the games I'd be attending in person so I didn't pack anything USA related. But I spliced together a white shirt, blue scarf and red ribbon in my hair and we were off to watch! 


When we reached the Fan Zone for the second time, we saw all the Americans leaving! My brother Jesse was a real visionary in the World Cup '06 in Germany. He wore a large American flag as a cape in the middle of a city where finding ANYTHING American related was next to impossible and clearly there wasn't much love towards Americans in general... And he wore that flag cape with a charisma that only he can. Well, we saw about 50 people this time in Cape Town alone (the game was being played in jo'burg) wearing the flag-cape, but no one with the confidence and pride that he had... But anyway, we still went into the Fan Fest area and saw nothing but England fans. Andrew had on a very neutral Polo shirt that clearly supported England AND the US so we fit in with both crowds. The deal breaker was that the Fan Fest area only served beer and I was in the mood to get a little tipsy and rowdy so I suggested we walk a bit before committing to a location. 


Earlier, we walked through a market/pedestrian area a block or two from the Fan area so we went and checked that out. There were a lot of little eateries that had a tiny TV facing their outdoor seating areas, but we didn't see any Americans!! Then, with kick off a mere 15 minutes away, I saw them. Four Americans with the USA flag capes going into a bar called the Purple Turtle. Once inside, we had found our sanctuary. It was nothing BUT Americans!! The whole place was JAMMED pack by the start and it was such an AMAZING experience!! Most people there were either college aged or recent grads, but it was STILL amazing to be with such enthusiastic supporters!! Being college aged separated Andrew and I out A) because the few girls that were there seriously made out with at least 3 boys each and B) showed a complete disregard for the establishment and social rules. It was also apparent as to why we get a bad rep in a lot of countries/places - people unscrewing lights, dancing on pool tables, and denting regular table legs... terrible. But I must saw, we are a BLAST to be around :)

And the GAMEEE!! I am hoarse from all the yelling i did!! We won 1 - 0 in the 4 minutes of injury time at the VERY end of the game and I can't wait to upload the videos and pictures I took of the celebrating!!! I must acknowledge that the first song played at half time during the break was Miley Cyrus's "Party in the USA" and people went absolutely NUTS for it!! And then when we FINALLY scored our goal, the celebratory song was "Sweet Home Alabama." I just find it really interesting how other countries perceive/placate us!! 


So after a bite to eat post win, we are back in the room awaiting the Germany vs Ghana game to see who the US will play next! It's really exciting having the opportunity to back the US in something - to be so patriotic. I feel like opportunities to support the country as a whole are few and far between so it's a incredible feeling. And living in London, it was nice to be around Americans again - to feel at home.


We are here until Thursday evening, July 1st so there should be much more to come!!

2 comments:

  1. You are SO LUCKY to be there!! Thanks for the shout-out in the blog, my Pride is bursting right now :). It should be noted that i LOVE america far more than the average person, which may have something to do with my sporting the flag so proudly... but thanks for the visionary tag. Love it!

    Be safe, have fun, and keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true... only you can embody America in the way you do. I don't think I have WC pics on here from the last time, but if i can find them...that video of you flapping is going up!!

    ReplyDelete