Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

B is for Black Tie and Birthday!

Andrew and I got a late invite to a black tie affair last week. Luckily, Andrew had his tux from the wedding and my dress sickness (a minor complication from denim disease) has afforded me a plethora of options for such an event! So off we went on Friday the 19th to the New Ways Advent Ball to support the efforts to feed children in Africa. I would like to note that this was the opening night for the new Harry Potter movie, to which we had tickets, but I put those desires aside as this was a great opportunity for Andrew to network with work people and for me to get really dolled up! I spent the day trying to decide between my green ruffle dress and my older, more boring black dress. I ended up going with the safe bet black one since this was my first black tie event in London. 

The champagne cocktail party started at 7pm. We met Andrew #1 and his wife Vicky. Soon after, Kenna and Neil. And finally Andrew #2 and his wife, and Helen. We chatted and then made our way to the table. Dinner consisted of a caprese salad, chicken and veggies and potatoes, and mandarin cheesecake. Delightful! As this was a charity event, there were fun Heads & Tails raffles for magnums of Champagne and then an auction. It was good fun! And then, the best part started - the dancing!! This was the first time since we'd been in London wear they played music that I actually knew!! I'm pretty sure we danced from 9 until 1 in the morning! A great thing about London, is none of the men are afraid to get on the dance floor so our group danced the entire time! I honestly haven't had that much fun since we've been in London. Hands down! 

After the great night, Andrew #2 (his real name is Andrew Marks, we just had 3 Andrews at our table so it amused me!) invited us to another event the following weekend! So tomorrow night, we will be attending A Night with the Stars to support a Children's charity Andrew's company sponsors. Supposedly, Kevin Spacey and Sir Ian McKellen are on the list of performers! Should be a good time! Unfortunately, I have no pictures from the event because Andrew said it wasn't like other nights out where I take a million pictures, sometimes with random people, and forbid me bring my camera!

Then Saturday, we packed up Maeby and an overnight bag and headed to Cambridge for Alison's birthday!! We got there a little early and I had been bugging Andrew for a Cambridge sweatshirt ever since he was accepted so we walked around the town to find one! Cambridge is absolutely beautiful and this time of year, was starting to look REALLY Christmasy! It was cold, and we were all bundled up and it just felt so holiday-y! I loved it! We found my sweatshirt and some goodies for Andrew and then made our way back to the hotel. We were able to find a dog friendly hotel next to the train station so it was easy to bring the pup along! 

Alison's birthday started with dinner at The Vaults. We had our own little private room! It was really nice. The menu option was either to pick a main course, or tapas style. I ordered tapas, obviously. I had delish green curry, some mushroom caps, and beef carpaccio. And that was me showing self control. I also had my first taste of warm toffee pudding compliments of Monty and Andrew (yes, another Andrew) and it...was...glorious! Amazing! 

After that, we hit our first club! We has a table by the DJ booth which was perfectly set up for people watching! I do NOT miss the single scene. I saw trashy dressed women straddling men at other tables giving them lap dances and making out. Apparently Cambridge peeps aren't very inhibited! We stayed there a bit and then another club before home. And no night out like that is complete without pizza! It was the first time I had dominoes in ages! 

 The tattoo sleeves from Halloween made an appearance again. It was an exhausting weekend! I hardly ever go out like that anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment