Few may know that one of my life goals is to live abroad for at least two months. Well, as Andrew has been assigned to at least a year contract with T. Rowe International, I say mission accomplished! Since I'm living one of my goals, I thought, what better way to document it than through a blog! I hope you enjoy following my many, yet sometimes ordinary, adventures!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

One way to meet the neighbors...

We knew the little family that lives directly above was french and have a small daughter and one on the way, but we've never met them officially... until today. 

We have family coming and I spent the entire afternoon cleaning the flat top to bottom. Andrew came home early to be nice and help and do a date night. So after cleaning, we walked to the Sainsbury Express to get things for dinner. I always ask Andrew, when we leave, if he has the keys to the flat. As we're walking, I mention that it's always my worst fear that I'll lock myself out of the apt without a phone because I don't know anyone and it would be a big deal to get back in. 

WELL, so Andrew - trying to suggest something nice - says we should take our dinner into the garden and enjoy it. I wanted to eat in the backyard, but he sells me on the garden. We each carry our own plates and I put the vino and glasses in a bag. Andrew says he's got the house keys, so I am responsible for the garden key. We get into the garden and I realize that I'm not wearing my sweatshirt. I say it's fine, I'm not really that cold, but Andrew insists on getting it for me. I pour the wine, set up my plate, and look up and there he is walking back to me... He's forgotten the house key.

Trying to stay calm, I don't get upset. There's nothing we can do about it so we just ate our dinner (but poured the wine back in the bottle as Andrew wasn't really in the mood to enjoy a glass at that moment) and then discussed our plan of attack. I check all the notices on the way out to see if our landlord's number is listed anywhere as he's the Chairman of the Garden. No luck, but we did find the number to another lady that I met with last week to become "official" members of the garden. 

We passed the upstairs lady and her baby on our way out so I knew she was home. She buzzes us in and let's Andrew call the lady whose number we have to see if we can get the landlord. Long story short, we get a hold of the landlord who's in Wales and no one has a key to his house to get the spare key to ours. So after the our new neighbor friends have been super nice and hospitable for almost 45 minutes, we try plan B - B&E.

Our backyard garden butts up to a local hotel so Andrew thinks he can hop the 10+ foot fence and get into our backyard. As we walk to the hotel, we go inside to let them know what we're about to do so that we don't get the cops called on us on top of this!! Andrew leaps the fence with impressive (and surprising) strength and grace. 

The back door was definitely locked, but the little window above it was open. It's probably 8 feet up. So I think I can fit through this window easily if Andrew just boost me up. Well, Problem: I can't hop the fence like he did (in my defense, my arms were/are EXHAUSTED from all the working out I've been doing). SO Andrew is on his own. 

My smarty hubby makes himself a ladder and I watch him pull himself through the little window!! We got back in! I run around to the front door and then i see the damage - he's scraped his legs, tore his shorts, and has bruises forming in several places!! I took a picture to immortalize his efforts :) WHAT A NIGHT!! And looking at the picture, I'm not quite sure how he made it in!! 

And I will be making some sort of delicious baked good as a thank you to the neighbors for their assistance in our crisis! 

3 comments:

  1. omg! I don't know how he managed to do that even with you describing all of that. You should get to know the lady upstairs and maybe trade keys in case this happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and you should make the text under your blog heading white or light gray because you can't read it in black but I really like your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed! Well done, Andrew! I doubt I could have made it into that little window...and he is three times taller/bigger than me!

    ReplyDelete